Our licensed physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech-language pathologists have specialty training and expertise in pediatrics and work together to provide comprehensive care that meets your child’s individual needs.
Objectives of Pediatric Therapy and Rehabilitation
Team members use a variety of techniques and technologies to:
- Support growth and development
- Prevent future complications and impairments
- Relieve pain
- Improve cognitive abilities
- Improve strength, coordination, range-of-motion and tine motor skills
- Relax muscles
- Develop self-care skills
- Enhance speech and language skills
- Address swallowing and feeding problems
- Teach the correct use of wheelchairs, braces and other assistive devices
A Team Approach
Trained professionals in pediatric therapy and rehabilitation evaluate children's functional abilities and develop individualized treatment plans to help maximize independence and quality of life.
Who Can Benefit?
Therapists use fun, age-appropriate activities to help kids develop key coordination, motor and hand-eye abilities, and verbal skills. The gains that children make during rehabilitation therapy often help them to perform at or closer to age level and improve their self-confidence and self-esteem. Our therapists equip children with the tools they need to accomplish tasks in the way in which they are capable.
Pediatric Rehabilitation can Benefit Children Who Have:
- Birth defects or birth injuries
- Neurological, musculoskeletal or rheumatologic conditions
- Orthopedic conditions, either from injury or congenitally
- Developmental delays
- Acute traumas
- Surgical recovery needs
- Chronic diseases (such as sickle cell, heart or kidney diseases)
Hear from our Staff
Therapy can be a very challenging concept for a child to fully understand at first. Part of the Pediatric Therapy process is making sure our patients are comfortable with each of our team members. Meet one of our team members, Christine Helsel. Chris is an Occupational Therapy Assistant. Watch as she discusses her role at Fauquier Health and how she loves working with her pediatric patients.
Questions? Contact the Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation clinic at 540.316.2680.