In September, 1954 a small group of woman, led by Miss Dorothy Neyhart, met in the Fauquier National Bank Building to organize the Women's Auxiliary of Fauquier Hospital with an objective of assisting the hospital in becoming the best health care facility possible. Immediately, and for the next fifty years, the challenge of recruiting new members began.
In March, 1955, the first Auxiliary fund raising project, the Thrift Shop, was established on Culpeper Street, selling donated goods and items. After occupying several locations, the shop moved to its present site on Main Street.
In 1959 the auxiliary began one of its most important and rewarding projects, the Nurse Scholarship Program. The program was expanded to include scholarships for all health care related fields and for boys as well as girls, and we continue that program today.
The Candy striper program was introduced in 1961 with four girls working summers in the snack bar and other hospital areas. That program has evolved into our current Junior Volunteer program which attracts over 60 young people every year and counting.
Over the years, the Auxiliary group have become very creative fund raisers beyond the initial efforts of the Thrift shop, Gift shop and Snack bar. They have instituted many new projects in the last 50 years both ongoing and one-time events to include, all kinds of product sales, auctions and raffles. In 1961 they held their first "follies" which was a community favorite for years until recently when they began their ever popular "Casino Night."
The Lights for Life program began in 1983 and has grown every year. Airlie donated five Norway spruce trees, and we invited the community to purchase lights to remember loved ones. Every year, on the first Wednesday in December, we continue this tradition, at which time the trees are lit, and we honor a special person as the "Top of the Tree" for his/her contributions to the hospital and the Auxiliary. Visit the Lights For Life website for more information.
Our volunteers were known as the "Pink Ladies" due to their pink smock uniforms. They represent a big part of the history of our hospital. In the late 70's men were invited to become volunteers and a few years later, the Women's Auxiliary became known as Fauquier Hospital Auxiliary. Most recently, our volunteers changed their long time uniforms from Pink/Light blue to Royal blue.
Today, nearly 400 adult and junior volunteer members support the day-to-day operations of our 97 bed hospital, contributing over 37,000 hours of dedicated service each year. At Fauquier Hospital, we consider our volunteers to be ambassadors to the community and with the same "can do" spirit as our founders, we look forward to the opportunities of the next fifty years!