Advance Directives Discussion at Fauquier Hospital
March 11, 2012
Fauquier Hospital will host “A Conversation in Ethics: How to Honor Advance Directives,” on Wednesday, March 21, from noon to 1:30 p.m. The event will be held in the hospital’s Sycamore Room.
Topics will include:
• The new Virginia Advance Directive forms and where patients can find them
• How to select a healthcare proxy
• How to make sure the healthcare proxy understands what the Advance Directive means to the patient
• How the healthcare proxy can best honor the Advance Directives
The discussion will feature several speakers:
• Pediatrician Joshua Jakum, M.D., will discuss the ethical issues surrounding Advance Directives and how to honor decisions made by patients.
• Emergency Department physician Michael Jenks, M.D., will address Advance Directives issues that can arise in the Emergency Room.
• A Fauquier Hospital staff physician will speak on issues common in the hospital setting.
• A Fauquier Hospital social worker will talk about the new Advanced Directives in Virginia.